Monday, September 1, 2008

Step One: Boy asks girl. Girl says yes.

Randy and I got engaged just over a month ago, on Friday July 25. After almost 4 years of dating I had finally been able to get him in to a few jewelry stores and low and behold I found one I liked. We then checked a few other places to compare prices, warranty information, and most importantly financing, but always came back to this particular one. After a few viewings I was told that my trips to the jewelry store were done and that if it was going to happen it would.

I proceeded to ask about once a week or so to go back and see it again. Each question ended with the same answer…nope, you have seen it enough. This particular week I had asked once again, to my surprise he said fine, if it will quit you from asking. I was delighted! Friday after work we met at Riddle’s. Walking in the look on the sales persons face said it all. I asked right away, “Where is it? I want to see my ring.” Her head dropped and quietly said I’m sorry, it’s gone. From there the story elaborated into as a new store with the company there were given all of this great merchandise and now they had been open a month or so, their stuff was up for grabs from the other stores. It just so happened that my ring was one of the items that was sent to Billings, MT.

I was devastated. I had found a ring that I absolutely loved and now it was gone. I couldn’t help how I was feeling and started to cry in the store. The look on Randy’s face made it even worse. I can usually tell when he is lying to me as he gets this mischievous little smirk. But that day it was different. It wasn’t a smirk but a look of oh man she is going to kill me. We hung around the store for 20 minutes or so and discussed some of our options if the ring happened to get sold to the couple from Montana. Alicia would look for some more diamonds similar to the one I had found and watch for a good deal. I guess I had to be satisfied with that answer, because after all it was gone. Or was it?

We arrived home. Walking in the door I remember telling Randy that if he had bought this ring and was waiting to give it to me, this was a really mean way to do it. I went in the house and there was a vase of Gerber daisies waiting for me. Randy tells me that he wanted to get me flowers because he knew that when we went in that the ring was going to be gone. Oh I can’t tell you if I was sad again or mad. I asked why he would let me go into the store knowing it was gone. I marched into the bedroom, with my eyes once again filling with tears, and grabbed Molly girl off the bed. As I walked back out to the kitchen there he was holding a familiar looking maroon box.

This was it. I guarantee every girl imagines how it is going to happen. When, where, and what will he say? It was my turn. As he opened the box and I saw that ring I feared I would never see again, he dropped to one knee, said that he loved me and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, and would I marry him. I proceeded to freak out!! Amongst the screaming and no nonsense blubbering, yes came out of my mouth. He placed the ring on my finger and it was a perfect fit. I was completely shocked but couldn’t have been happier. We had discussed the whole marriage thing so I thought that it might be coming, but I no way expected it to be that day. It was low-key and at-home, but romantic and very thought out. I wouldn’t change that moment for anything. We proceeded to call friends and family to let them know the good news. We went out for supper enjoyed a quiet evening at home.

Side note of what our parents said:
My mom immediately started crying. She was very happy for us and I think had a hard time concentrating on the Catfish Bay ski show that night. Yes, she was parking cars when she found out.
My dad was happy for us and let me know how ironic life can be and how much work marriage takes. He told us both congratulations and appreciated that Randy called to ask his permission
Randy’s mom – This I my favorite. As Randy being the only son, I figured we would get a little excitement out of Kathy. Her words exactly “Oh that’s nice.”
Randy’s dad - I don't think that we actually talked to him on the phone. However, the first time we saw him, first thing he wanted to do was see the ring.
He didn’t bother to tell either of his parents what he had planned so I think they were a little shocked. Happy for us, but it was unexpected.

We have now started to plan our wedding to take place fall 2009. Fun times! There is a lot to think about, which is a bit overwhelming, but I like to think that I am a pretty good planner, so I am hoping to do just fine, especially with the help of family and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! I hope me leaving a comment is not totally weirding you out. :) But Luke wanted to show me your engagement pictures and I continued to glance through your blogs. I am so excited for you and everything you're going through right now!

I loved the way Randy proposed! Simple, sweet, and romantic. When Luke told me you two were engaged I asked how Randy did it nearly immediately. (I mean, come one, every girl thinks about that moment only like 700 times in her lifetime). Luke's answer was something along the lines of, "eh, it was nothing special Sheri, don't get your hopes up and start thinking about it." haha, YES, Luke's an ass. (but then, you already knew that) :) He loves to pick at me.

Anyway, point of my post is it leaves me with a little bit more faith in the South Dakota boys. Extremely rough on the edges, but we love them. Luke practically has me convinced I'm going to spend the rest of my life as his 'live-in' lover who only does the wifely duties, without the title. haha.

Good luck with EVERYthing! We cannot wait to see you two walk down the aisle. It'll be beautiful and we'll all have such a good time. I'm sure. :)

(sorry for the long post)