Monday, September 1, 2008

Oh the internet

If anyone reading this is recently engaged or hoping to be someday, one word, the internet. Well that is 2 words, but whose counting. The Saturday after our engagement I wanted to go buy every wedding book ever written. I figured that would be a total waste of money and decided to check the internet first. Oh man…I searched wedding websites and got more than I had bargained for. Some of the best sites I have found include http://www.theknot.com/, http://www.weddingchannel.com/, and http://www.onewed.com/. I started registering for everything under the sun. David’s bridal – do you want to receive special sale notifications? Yes. The knot.com – do you want to know when we add new photos to our gallery? Yes. Needless to say I have my email address registered at about every wedding idea site I could find. And my inbox gets filled everyday with crap that I usually end up deleting.

So that was a learning experience. I am sure that long after the wedding is over I will still be getting notifications from David’s bridal and their $100 gown sale. But in the mean time, I have found anything and everything I can think of for wedding ideas. How to make your own invitations and centerpieces and good wedding favors are just some of the ideas I have come across. I have also learned about how to host a non-traditional Friday afternoon wedding to a Sunday morning brunch and what to serve and the activities you could have instead of a dance. Not for us, but there are a ton of ideas out there.

Besides decoration ideas etc, after a day of searching this is how I came to want to start the blog. I came across some really cool sites people had made up and it seemed to be an easy way to keep my family and friends involved while giving them also a place for suggestions and little comments on what we are doing. When the date gets closer and as I get better at understanding what this page can do, I will be including directions to the ceremony and reception, hotel accommodations, and an introduction to our wedding party.

I am finding out that there are about a million things that go into planning a wedding. And keeping track of them on your own is nearly impossible. With the help of some of my favorite wedding sites, and this blog, I have all the faith in the world it will be a day to remember.

No comments: