Monday, September 1, 2008

The Dress

Is it ever too early to start looking? I would guess that depends on who you ask. The groom “You do realize you wedding is over a year away don’t you? What if you buy it too early and then don’t like it when the wedding rolls around?” Your friends, especially the ones that are already married “When do we get to go dress shopping? Can I go with?”

Well I guess I am a girl. I am very excited to try on all the “princess dresses” that every store in the state has. Ok maybe not every dress, but you get the idea on where I am coming from. It didn’t take me long to decided that dress shopping is just as fun, maybe even more fun that ring shopping.

July 31, 2008 I had the afternoon off. Hey mom, what are you doing this afternoon, can you skip class? I want to go check out the dresses. I believe is how my email read. “Going to the dress store sounds totally like the best part for me,” was my mother’s response. Ok twisted my arm, lets go. Up until this point, yep we had been engaged for a whole 6 days, I think the talk of how much everything was going to cost, scared Betty a little.

Our first stop, I Do 2. It is a consignment shop for wedding dresses. Some have been worn for the special day, others a day that didn’t happen, and still others, brand new from other stores around the area that had closed. I was able to find 3 that I liked and 1 mom had to have me try on.

Next to getting proposed to, this was another first. The first time I would try on a wedding dress. Would it be the one? Would it take my breath away? Would I totally love it? Nope. Not even close. How about dress #2? Better, but still no. And the one mom had me try on, hell no. Little flowers sewn all over on it. Mom did you really think that was going to be it? I did find one I liked. It was very plain, ivory in color with a Champaign strip of satin around the top and matching around the bottom and down the train. Did it take my breath away, was it the one? Well, no, I mean come on; I couldn’t even get it zipped.

There has to be a first time for everything, and this was my first dress shopping. I didn’t find the one, but I found some things I liked and didn’t like. White, white dresses might not be for me. I like ivory. And the plain, plain non strapless dress I thought I wanted, well that might not be it either. If the dress is supposed to match your personality, I wouldn’t call myself boring in the least. I need a little pizzazz and excitement going on for the day.

No comments: